food blog



IMBB 27: Edamame Salad in Lettuce Cups


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...
















I've wanted to participate in Is My Blog Burning for a while now and with this month's event The Joy of Soy hosted by Ono Kine Grindz, I couldn't pass. I love soy.

With my latest healthy eating kick I decided to prepare a dish with edamame. The only way I've eaten edamame is steamed and right out of the pod as a snack. I wanted to incorporate this edamame, keep it fresh. In chinese cuisine, lettuce cups are usually fill with a hot dish, many times tofu or seafood. I thought it would work well here to counter the texture of the edamame, konnyaku, and pine nuts.

Edamame Salad in Lettuce Cups

1 cup edamame soy beans, cooked and shelled
7 oz. konnyaku cake
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 cucumber
3 shiitake mushrooms
2 handfuls pine nuts
1 handful cilantro leaves
Whole romaine leaves (or other crisp lettuce)

Dressing
1/2 cup soy sauce ( I use low sodium)
1 tablespoon mirin
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
3-4 drops sesame oil
2-3 drops hot chili oil

Whisk together all dressing ingredients and set aside.

Rinse konnyaku cake well until all smell is gone. Chop in 1/2 inch dice. Blanch the konnyaku in boiling water briefly, the konnyaku will float to the top of the water when ready. Drain and add to dressing.

If you are using packaged edamame, blanch shelled soy beans briefly in boiling water to remove any sliminess. Drain and add to dressing.

Clean shiitake mushrooms and chop in 1/2 inch dice. Blanch mushrooms briefly in boiling water until cooked. Drain and add to dressing.

Peel, seed and chop cucumber and pepper into 1/2 inch dice. Add to dressing.

Roughly chop cilantro leaves and add to dressing.

Add pine nuts to the salad and mix all well. Cover and allow to marinate for 30 minutes.

Clean lettuce carefully keeping leaves whole. Fill each leaf with 2-3 tablespoons salad. Enjoy.

Thanks Reid for hosting both events.

Technorati tags:


0 Responses to “IMBB 27: Edamame Salad in Lettuce Cups”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Previous posts

Archives

About me

  • I'm Jo
  • About this site Little Project is a site about crafts, mostly crochet and other yarn stuff, and some food too. There are patterns and recipes. You may want to take the grand tour, read about Little Projects, or contact the site owner, Jo.