food blog



Vita-Mix Almond Milk


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



I've been eyeing the Vita-Mix blender for a few years now and last week-end they were demo-ing at Costco again so I finally got one. I've been through three Cuisinart blenders and have always been frustrated at the lack of power with my blenders but have a hard time paying $350 to make smoothies. I ultimately justified it by likening it to my Kitchen Aid mixer, I thought that was a splurge at the time but after 15+ years, it runs great, so I'm hoping the same will be true for the Vita-Mix. Plus, I can make soymilk.

Well, it turns out that many Vita-Mix consumers are into raw food, I got this from the recipes and brochures, and then I started googling "raw foods" and got a couple of books and have been liquifying like crazy. After my smoothies, I made juices using more fresh whole fruits, oranges, apples, lemons (rind and all), carrots, ginger, lettuce and on and on. Zip, zip and it's juice.

Then I read the raw foodies go on about nut milks so I decided to try almond milk since I had some raw almonds on hand, and let me tell you, this is my favorite new food discovery. I was drinking soymilk and I am now totally converted. This week while I've been drinking all this almond milk, I haven't been as hungry and haven't had the up and down cravings for sweets and protein. It's been strange, I haven't had the cravings for a burger or chips and my energy level is better.

The thing is, I had all these ideas for different food posts that I'd been cooking like Barbeque Berkshire Pork Roast but this last week I've been hardly cooking. So my original plans for this food blog are evolving.

Almond Milk

1 cup raw almonds
3+ cups water (preferably filtered)
2 tablespoons honey (optional)

Soak almonds in water for 4-8 hours. Drain and rinse almonds clean. Put nuts and 3 cups water in Vita-Mix. Liquify. Add honey and blend well. Strain milk through fine mesh or cheesecloth (optional).


Technorati tags:


0 Responses to “Vita-Mix Almond Milk”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Previous posts

Archives

About me

  • I'm Jo
  • About this site Little Project is a site about crafts, mostly crochet and other yarn stuff, and some food too. There are patterns and recipes. You may want to take the grand tour, read about Little Projects, or contact the site owner, Jo.